How to Choose the Best Running Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis?
Plantar Fasciitis is a painful inflammation of the plantar fascia, a band of connective tissue in the foot that provides arch support, which is caused by drastic or sudden increase in mileage, poor foot structure and/or inappropriate running shoes. This condition results in heel pain from sporting activities or any other activity that causes overload or overstretch for the plantar fascia. To prevent plantar fasciitis conditions while running it is important to select the best running shoes for plantar fasciitis that have enough arch support and good heel cushioning.
It is also recommended to change footwear to a new pair of shoes every 250-500 miles (400-800 km). Constantly switching between 2 pairs of shoes seems to help some people because the time period when the shoes are not being used helps to recover their cushioning to the effective level.
There are many shoes constantly being released on the market; therefore we have prepared an overview of the best running shoes to avoid plantar fasciitis.
Our Picks for the Best Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis
How to Choose the Best Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis?
Choice of shoes depends on the type of activity you are planning to do. Running will result in a lot of hard impacts on the heel, therefore, a shoe with strong to very strong arch support, shock absorption, and good cushioning needs to be selected. Good shoes also should reduce the load on the Achilles tendon and minimize the windlass mechanism that stresses your plantar fascia as you run. In addition to that, shoes need to fit your foot structure, which varies from one person to another.
Best running shoes for plantar fasciitis will meet the following conditions:
- Maximum arch support. The best running shoes for plantar fasciitis need to have firm heel counter that’s a little bit elevated. Such structure keeps the foot in alignment and also reduces the load on the Achilles tendon by keeping the foot slightly flexed away from the shin.
- Better shock absorption. Shock absorption in the shoe reduces shock coming from each step while running on your foot. It is intended to disperse some of the force of the foot striking to the ground.
- Good heel cushioning. Good running shoes should provide enough padding to withstand the pressure coming from physical activities. Many good running shoes have state of the art gel cushioning which reduces shock during high-intensity impact, and also continuous normal usage for example when running.
Our Recommendations for the Best Running Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis
Asics GT-2000 4
These Asics shoes for plantar fasciitis are one of the best on the market. The GT-2000 4 model fits and feels just like the popular GT-2100 series of the past decade. The fourth iteration of Asics GT 2000 is liked among the runners because of its comfortable features and stability mechanics. The firm post under the arch and strong forefoot cushioning provide a very comfortable and smooth ride. It is a solid and stable shoe, good for long runs. They have reflective detail which helps in low light conditions or running where there is traffic. Great cushioning and shoe stability makes Asics GT-2000 4 one of the best shoes for runners with recent plantar fasciitis or those who would seeking for shoes to avoid such running injuries.
- The firm post under the arch and strong forefoot cushioning provide a very comfortable ride
- Solid and stable shoe, good for long runs
- Lacing system is almost perfect
- Reflective detail help for running in the dark or in low light areas
- High variety of colors and styles
- Little stiff in heel to toe transition
Asics GEL-Kayano 22
Runners who expect to get stability and support from Asics Gel Kayano 22 will be generally happy with the performance of these shoes. Gel Kayano 22 provides excellent blend of cushioning and stability in the underfoot platform. The midsole and outsole provide soft and smooth transition for the foot. The women’s version is made a bit differently which allows for more heel cushioning and a higher heel-toe drop (height difference between heel and forefoot). Some shoe owners found the toe box too narrow if the foot is a bit on the wider side.
- Excellent blend of cushioning and stability in the underfoot platform
- Midsole and outsole provide soft and smooth transition
- Adaptive stretchable mesh used in the upper unit of the shoe covers runner’s feet securely
- Toe box can be too narrow
- High price
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 16
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 16 is the perfect balance of support and soft cushion. The midsole of the shoes dynamically adapts to every step, while the runner’s body is guided into its natural alignment with the help of a supportive Progressive Diagonal Rollbar. This version of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 16 comes in four types of widths – narrow, medium, wide and extra wide. Therefore, it is easy to find type that fits your feet comfortably.
- Good support and soft dynamic cushion creates good combination for long runs
- Very good stability
- Wide variety of widths
- The toe box can be a bit narrow, however shoes comes in wide variety of widths
New Balance 990 v4
It is an update to the oldest New Balance running shoes. The New Balance 990v4 carries quite an expensive price; however, it is justified by many runners because of its long lasting performance. It provides a combination of premium cushioning and stability needed for a comfortable ride. Runners with wide or narrow feet can get shoes that will fit their feet perfectly. New Balance makes or assembles more than 4 million pairs of athletic footwear per year in the USA, so these shoes are made in the USA!
- Perfect blend of cushioning and stability
- High quality and long lasting performance
- Wide variety of widths
- High price
- Too stiff for runners looking for more flexibility for their feet
Saucony Guide 9
Saucony Guide 9 is back with an updated version of this already good running shoe. Great cushioning and stability provides an incredibly smooth ride. Some runners are indicating that due to comfortable construction that this shoe provides they cannot feel after-effects of previous plantar fasciitis. Roomy toe box is enough to accommodate natural toe-splaying. Shoes can be considered to be lightweight weighting only 9.70 oz. (275 gr.). The downside could be a high shoe price.
- Great cushioning and stability provides incredibly smooth ride
- Easy on the foot pain
- Roomy toe box
- High price